Parent Guide of Teen Depression
24 Hour Teen Contact: 713-529-TEEN Espanol: 713-526-8088
National Suicide Prevention: (800) 273-Talk (8255)
Nine's Hot Line (800) 999-9999
Dealing With Suicidal Thoughts:
- There is ALWAYS another solution, even if you cannot see it.
- Depression can cause you to have thoughts of hurting yourself - Please get HELP first.
- If your feelings are uncontrollable tell yourself to wait 24 hours before you take action.
- Talk to someone you trust (parent, counselor, friend, doctor, etc.).
- If you're afraid you can't control yourself, make sure you are NEVER alone.
- Don't isolate yourself.
Depression Warning Signs:
Change in sleeping or eating habits
Withdrawal from family and friends
Alcohol or drug usage (or increased usage)
Unusual neglect of personal appearance
Visual personality change
Recurrent complaints about physical/emotional state
Lack of interest in praise or rewards
Suicide Warning Signs:
Talking about suicide or death in general
Talking about going away
Talking about feeling hopeless
Staying away from friends and/or family
Losing desire to take part in favorite activities
Having trouble concentrating
Experiencing changes in eating or sleeping habits
Giving away personal/prized items
Participating in self destructive behavior (alcohol, drugs, fast driving)
What can parents do?
Talk openly and freely
Be aware of any signs of bizarre thoughts
Get Help: 800 SUICIDE
NEVER leave a child alone when they are suicidal